Welcome to our jobs page!
To find out more about our current team, go here.
Senior Policy Researcher (maternity cover)
Contract: Full-time, fixed-term for 10 months
Salary: £35,000 per annum, pro rata
Deadline: 21 July, midday
We are looking for a skilled researcher who shares our values and our passion for practical and policy change to provide maternity leave cover for a member of our research team. The role is fixed term, yet we hope to recruit an individual who is committed to changing how public services are delivered and to working with communities, to make a real impact.
How to apply: Please email email@example.com the below:
- Cover letter of no more than 500 words demonstrating, with examples, how you meet the criteria below.
- Completed Equal Opportunities Monitoring form (if you wish) N.B. all equal opportunities forms will be separated from the application.
Your job will include:
- Research: Production of high impact research to influence a range of external stakeholders.
- Content: Analysis of a variety of topics to create high quality written reports, policy briefings, case studies, blogs and press articles.
- Planning: Working cross-team to carefully coordinate and ensure our research lands with the right audiences at the right time.
- Contributing to the planning and delivery of our research activity – including parliamentary influencing and members events.
- Taking on ad hoc tasks to support the research strategy and our work as a whole.
Our ideal candidate will be:
- A great communicator, with outstanding verbal and written skills.
- An inquisitive thinker, with a keen curiosity and skill for clearly communicating / conveying both complex ideas and analysis.
- A keen planner whose attention-to-detail is proven to keep projects timely and impactful.
- Someone with quick judgement, who flourishes in an environment of autonomous working and speedy decision making, and can be trusted to make the right calls
- Driven by achieving change, a champion for community power, both in terms of improving our own work and achieving New Local’s broader political and societal goals.
- A friendly and supportive colleague able to work in a highly creative and collaborative environment that encourages autonomy and excellence from all members of the team.
New Local was founded in 1996 as the New Local Government Network. It relaunched as New Local in October 2020. There is currently a team of 15 staff working on practice, research, communications, influencing and peer-learning with our network of over 60 councils and other partner organisations.
The Senior Policy Researcher role will sit in the research team, reporting to the Deputy Chief Executive, and working alongside other members of the research team. They will work closely with all other members of staff, including the Communications Team and the Network and Events Team.
In addition to the advertised salary, we offer:
- A minimum of 27 days’ holiday a year (calculated pro rata for fixed term appointments) and ten days holiday over Christmas/New Year
- Highly flexible working and work location arrangements
- Regular training opportunities
Wellbeing: New Local is committed to staff wellbeing. Working long and late hours is actively discouraged and all staff at New Local are committed to creating a pleasant, friendly and supportive environment in which to work.
Diversity: New Local is committed to being an equal opportunities employer. We don’t just ‘value diversity’, we think it is central to what makes for a high impact, successful organisation.
We positively encourage everyone to apply. In order to monitor equal opportunities, we ask that the Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form below is completed (this is entirely at the applicant’s discretion). The collecting of this data is part of our diversity strategy, to understand how we can improve equal opportunities for external applicants to New Local. All information gathered for equal opportunities monitoring is anonymous and then destroyed after 6 months, after which only aggregate data will be held. Information collected for monitoring purposes will be treated as confidential and will not be used for any other purpose.
|Post advertised||8 July|
|Application deadline||21 July, midday|
|Shortlisted candidates contacted by||23 July|
|Written exercise and interviews||w/o 2 August|
If you require any help applying for this role or taking part in the recruitment process, please contact Operations Manager Katy Evans.
Probation and Notice: This role is subject to a three-month probationary period and a one-month notice period.
Data Protection: New Local will process and store and your personal information (this means any information that identifies or could identify you) for the purposes of recruitment, for a period of up to six months after the closing date, after which it will be securely disposed. For more information, please refer to our Job Applicant Privacy Notice.