We are unique in being a research organisation, a practical consultancy and home to a thriving network of 70+ councils and other organisations.
At the heart of our work is ‘community power’ – the belief that people should be given the means to transform the places they live and the services they use. We believe this is key to creating stronger public services, and to creating a better society for all.
New Local is an independent think tank and network with a mission to transform public services and unlock community power.
Working with us
New Local was founded in 1996 as New Local Government Network. Today, we’re a close team of around 20.
We are passionate about our team’s happiness and wellbeing, and want New Local to be the best place to work possible.
Working long and late hours is actively discouraged and all staff at New Local are committed to creating a pleasant, friendly and supportive environment in which to work.
In addition to the advertised salary, we offer:
- A minimum of 27 days’ holiday a year and ten days holiday over Christmas/New Year
- Highly flexible working and work location arrangements
- Regular training opportunities
- A number of other benefits listed in the job description.
See CEO Adam Lent’s Twitter thread on what more we’re doing.
Diversity: New Local is committed to being an equal opportunities employer. We don’t just ‘value diversity’, we think it is central to what makes for a high impact, successful organisation. We positively encourage everyone to apply. In order to monitor equal opportunities, we ask that job applicants complete an Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form. The collecting of this data is part of our diversity strategy, to understand how we can improve equal opportunities for external applicants to New Local. All information gathered for equal opportunities monitoring is anonymous and then destroyed after 6 months, after which only aggregate data will be held. Information collected for monitoring purposes will be treated as confidential and will not be used for any other purpose.
There are no current vacancies.
Senior Network Officer
Senior Network Officer
Contract: Full-time, permanent
Location: New Local operates a ‘work anywhere’ policy but provides office space in the UK for those who require it. Applicants must have the right to work in the UK.
Do you have a background in membership, events and project management? Are you passionate about engagement?
We’re looking for someone to support the complex logistical and administrative tasks associated with our membership and events programme to ensure they are run efficiently and to the very highest standards.
What will the role involve?
- Event planning: Excite and engage our network by meticulously designing and delivering the format, content and logistics of our events and online sessions to be of maximum impact and value to them.
- Network building: Share the magic of our network, generate interest in our events and encourage participation. You will recognise the power of our data to improve our offer to members as well as to build our communications.
- Network management: Nurturing positive relationships, building awareness and understanding of the needs of our network. You will help make sure that our CRM is in tiptop shape.
- Staying fresh: Keeping up to date with the latest developments affecting local government members, their efforts to transform public services and innovative approaches across the sector.
- Production and delivery: Be the on-the-day ‘producer’ for events and online sessions delivering a seamless experience ensuring our members have a smooth, enjoyable and interesting experience from start to finish.
- Working with stakeholders: Proactively and positively work with event stakeholders, including partners, sponsors, and other team members, before, during and after events/sessions to create a vibrant network of collaboration.
- Developing ideas: Along with the rest of the team you’ll help identify new opportunities to increase participation, draw in new councils and expand our work.
- And more… As part of a small, friendly and informal organisation you’ll participate in other activities including attending external events, writing blog posts, supporting the delivery of New Local’s vision and ensuring that the organisation’s profile and reputation are maintained and enhanced.
Who are we looking for?
- A warm connector, with experience of building strong, supportive relationships inside and outside teams.
- A natural collaborator, with knowledge of the benefits of peer-learning and network building.
- A developer and deliverer, who has experience of seeing through ideas from conception to completion.
- A systematic thinker, who understands the importance of an organised approach and excellent record-keeping.
- Enthusiastic for the potential of community power with a demonstrable interest in inclusion, participatory engagement and/or local government.
- Driven by achieving change, both in terms of improving our own work and achieving New Local’s broader political and societal goals.
- Above all…we’re looking for someone who will jump right in and be a great team member. Help us sustain a supportive and friendly space where everyone feels included and appreciated and where success is collective.
For further information about the role, please click here. Applications have now closed.
To find out more about our current team, go here.